Are you searching to know about What is FASTag? How it works. National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) is an ambitious program by ministry of road transport and highways and National Highway Authority of India (NHAI).
FASTag – All you need to know
Government has already given December 1,2019 as deadline to enable all toll plazas FASTag enabled. If you own a vehicle then you must know about FASTag to avoid inconvenience at toll plazas while using highways.
Here in this article, we will discuss on what is FASTag and how it works and how you can purchase FASTag for vehicles.
What is FASTag
FASTag is an another variant of prepaid instrument, the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) Tag christened as FASTag for facilitating electronic toll collection at toll plazas on National Highways. It employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology in order to make toll payments directly from the prepaid or saving account linked to it. FASTag is affixed on the windscreen of your vehicles and enable you to drive through toll plazas without stopping for toll payment by cash.
NETC program has been launched by NPCI, NHAI and IHMCL to automate toll collection to ease out traffic woes and create an efficient and interoperable system on a national scale covering all toll plazas. It facilitates near non-stop movement of vehicles through toll plazas and will also provide convenience of cashless payments.
Benefits of FASTag
The main purpose of using FASTag is to cut down your travel time by eliminating the time taken on toll booth for toll payments. There are more benefits summed up as follow –
For Road Users
- Ease of Payment – FASTag users don’t need to carry cash for toll transactions. As toll payment goes cashless with use of FASTag.
- Lower Fuel Cost – Near non-stop movement of vehicles leading to lower fuel cost.
- Online Reharge – Easy recharge options available to reload cash in FASTag using debit card, credit card, NEFT, RTGS or internet banking.
- SMS Alerts – SMS alerts facility for low balance, toll transactions etc.
- Online Portal for Customers
- Incentive / Cashback – Many banks or issuers offers handsome cashback or incentive for use of their FASTag service.
For toll operators
- Better Highway Management
- Reduced efforts in managing toll plazas
- Lower operating cost
- Better audit control through centralized user accounts
- Improved transparency of toll transactions
- Fuel Saving
- Environmental Benefits
Documents required to avail FASTag
Here is the list of documents need to be submitted along with application for FASTag.
- Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle
- Passport Size Photograph of vehicle owner
- KYC documents (ID and Address Proof) – Aadhar Card, Voter ID, Driving License, PAN card, Passport.
For corporate customer and other details, visit website of the participating banks/ issuer agency.
Note – Carry all original documents for verification purpose.
How FASTag works
FASTag has validity of 5 years. After purchasing it, you need to recharge whenever balance goes low. It is a simple and reusable tag that works on Radio Frequency Identification Technology (RFID). Understand in simple steps –
- RFID Tag or FASTag are affixed on windscreen of the vehicle (car, jeep, van etc.)
- When vehicle approaches the toll plaza, RFID reader in toll plazas transmits radio waves that activates the RFID Tag.
- The activated tag sends vehicle information to RFID reader.
- RFID reader further transmit vehicle information to the lane controller.
- Lane controller which is a part of a LAN network, transmits the vehicle information to a central computer.
- The toll amount as applicable is automatically deducted from the prepaid RFID account which works as online wallet.
- If vehicle doesn’t have RFID tag, a high speed camera takes a picture of the license plate and the computer prints a violation notice, which is mailed to the vehicle owner.
Where to buy FASTag
Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) (a company incorporated by National Highways Authority of India) and National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) are implementing this program with help from Toll Plaza Concessionaires, FASTag Issuer Agencies and Toll Transaction Acquirer (select banks).
FASTag can be purchased from over 28,000 Point-of-Sale (POS) locations set up by various banks, National Highways fee plazas, Regional Transport Offices, Common Service Centers, transport hubs, bank branches and petrol pumps.
To know nearest Point of Sale Location – Visit IHMCL’s website here
You can also buy FASTag for cars, jeeps, vans online by visiting the website of any member banks – SBI, HDFC, Canara Bank, ICICI Bank, Paytm Payment Bank, IDFC First etc.
How to Install FASTag
- Remove the adhesive strip and put the tag in the centre of vehicle’s front windshield.
- Make sure the customer service toll free number is visible to the driver
- Add money to linked prepaid account or bank account to facilitate automatic deduction of toll charges at NHAI toll plazas.
- Don’t use cello tape or other tape to avoid inconvenience in toll payments
How to Recharge FASTag Account
Easy online recharge options are available for FASTag accounts. You can make payment through debit card, credit card, NEFT, RTGS, Net Banking etc.
You can recharge FASTag account up to a maximum limit of ₹ 1,00,000/-.