Here is all you need to know about Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana New Rules. The ‘Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana’ was launched for the benefit of girls under the campaign named ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’. It was launched in the year 2015 and till date, it is successfully running. With the help of this scheme, the government wants to encourage the girl’s education and their birth. Its main motive is to secure a fair share for the girl child from family savings for her future needs. Let’s know about the new rules being introduced by the government in the year 2018 for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana.
New Deposit Rules for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
In order to open the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account, the amount to be deposited was ₹ 1000/-. But according to the new amendments, now the minimum amount required to open the amount is ₹ 250/- only.
The government has reduced the yearly deposit amount from ₹ 1000 to ₹ 250/-. This has been done so that more and more people can become a part of this Yojana. The decision has been taken after looking at the success of this scheme so far.
So, now you all can open an account with minimum ₹ 250/- for your girl child. This is a very positive step being taken by the government as is appreciated by many.
Sukanya Samridhhi Scheme Success
You all should know about the success rate of this scheme after which this decision was taken. Total number of accounts opened for girl child under this scheme were around 1.26 crore till november 2017. And the total amount deposited is around 19.183 Crores which is a great success for this scheme. And it is been assumed that after this new saving scheme, more girls will be able to get the advantage.
Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Here are few features of Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme, which you all should know about :
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened by natural or legal guardian in the name of a girl child from her birth till she attains the age of 10 years.
- Only one account can be opened in the name of girl child.
- For Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account opening, you can either visit the post office or the chosen public-sector banks.
- The minimum deposit amount for opening the account was 1000 Rupees earlier, which is now only 250 Rupees.
- Total amount deposited in an account on a single or multiple occasions will not exceed ₹ 1,50,000/- in a financial year.
- Interest Rate has been set at 8.1 percent p.a. for the quarter of July to September.
- Under the section 80C, both the deposit and the maturity amount are completely exempted from the income tax act.
- For the purpose of higher education, 50 percent of the amount can be withdrawn by the girl for whom the account is opened when she will be of 18 years age. But for the withdrawal purpose, minimum 14 years of deposit in the account is required.
- The account under the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana will be valid only till 21 years from the time of the account opening date. After that, the girl will be paid the complete amount (Deposit and Interest).
- In case if the girl gets married and the 21 years tenure of the account is not reached, the account will get closed automatically.
- One can make the deposit in the account till 14 years from the time of the account opening date. After 14 years, the applicable interest rate will be earned.
As per the new changes made in deposit policy, we are hoping the increase in success rate of this scheme. Because as the depositing amount is now lowered, so it is now better for people who are poor to save and secure their daughter’s future.