As you all know that the government has made it mandatory to provide an Aadhaar Number to file Income Tax Return and get a new Permanent Account Number (PAN). The Supreme Court has also said that Aadhaar is necessary to file Income Tax Return (ITR) and get a new PAN card.
The questions must have arisen in your mind that How to link Aadhaar with PAN? How to check Aadhaar PAN link status online? Here we are giving you all the answers to your questions –
How to Link Your Aadhaar with PAN
The deadline for linking Aadhaar-PAN has been increased four-five times so far. If you have not yet linked PAN and Aadhaar, then it is better to complete this process soon. If you did not link your Aadhaar with PAN, then your PAN can be declared invalid.
In this article, we are going to tell you how you can link your Aadhaar with PAN and how to check link status online.
PAN Aadhaar Link Status Check Online
If you file Income Tax Return (ITR), then chances are that your PAN will be linked to Aadhaar. You must have linked it while filing last year’s ITR. If both the information is available with the Income Tax Department, then he also links it himself.
You can check this by going to the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department.
- First of all, go to this website: www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- On this website you will have to log in.
- Your PAN number is user ID and enter password.
- Once logged into the site, open the Profile Settings tab and click on the Link Aadhaar button in it.
If you have PAN and Aadhaar linked then you will get this message: Your PAN is already linked to Aadhaar number XXXXXX.
If you have PAN and Aadhaar not linked then there a form will open. For filling this form, instructions are given in this article.
Link by logging in to your account
If your PAN is not linked to Aadhaar, everytime you login on Income Tax e-filing website, a form will open in front of you as shown in picture below. Here you have to enter all the information according to your Aadhaar Card.
- In this, you have to fill your Aadhaar number and Name as per Aadhaar.
- After this you have to tick on the first small box only if the year of your birth is written on your Aadhaar card.
- And then you have to tick the second small box – I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI.
- After filling the details, you have to click on Link Now button.
Note – If the above said form is not showing after logging in to your account, then you have to open the Profile Settings tab and click on the Link Aadhaar button in it.
Without logging in to your account
If you do not want to login on the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department, then you have another option to link PAN and Aadhaar. There is a hyperlink on the home page of the Income Tax Department, on which you can link the PAN Aadhaar by clicking.
- Go to website incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on the Link Aadhaar tab on the left pane as shown in picture.
- After this a new form will open. Here you have to enter your PAN, Aadhaar Number, Name as per Aadhaar etc. Here you have to enter all the information according to the Aadhaar Card.
- If the year of your birth is written on Aadhaar, then you have to tick on small box – I have only the year of birth in Aadhaar.
- After this, you have to tick the small box – I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI.
- After this, you have to enter captcha code and click on Link Aadhaar
Once successfully submitted, a message will appear on your screen –
Your request has been sent to UIDAI for validation of Aadhaar. Please check the status later by clicking Link Aadhaar hyperlink in the Home page.
If you are unable to link Aadhaar with PAN, there are more ways to link Aadhaar. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has said in a notification on 29th June, 2017 that you can link PAN-Aadhaar in other ways also.
Link by sending a message to the PAN Service Provider
You can also link your Aadhaar PAN by just sending an SMS. You have to send this SMS to 567678 or 56161. Here’s how to send an SMS:
UIDPAN <space> <12-digit Aadhaar Number> <space> <10-digit PAN Number>
For example, if your Aadhaar number is 111122223333 and PAN number AAAPA1234A, then you need to write in SMS:
UIDPAN 111122223333 AAAPA1234A
NSDL and UTI do not charge any fee for this service. It may be that your mobile company deducts some money to send this message.
Linking Manually by filling the form
You will have to go to the PAN Service Center for this. There you will get a form. Submit the necessary documents with it and submit it. In this, you have to give a copy of PAN card and Aadhaar Card also.
However, this service is not free. For any change in PAN, you have to pay a fee of ₹110 and ₹25 for updating the Aadhaar. If your information is different in PAN and Aadhaar, then biometric verification is necessary to update it.
In this article, we discussed about ways of linking your Aadhaar with PAN Card. It is mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN. Otherwise, your PAN card will declared invalid by Income Tax Department. If your Aadhaar is not linked with PAN, link it today. If you have not internet connection, you can link by sending a message as described above. Share this article with your friends and relatives that they also can link their Aadhaar with PAN.